Saturday, April 12, 2014

Lusaka's Culinary Identity Crisis

I've eaten at enough restaurants in the city (well, in one stretch of the city) to have a sense about what types of foods Lusaka does well and what types could use improvement. Additionally, I have gathered a sense of how restaurants in this city operate. And my verdict: Lusaka's restaurants have an identity crisis, not just in terms of their food, but also in their style.

Today I ate at a restaurant called Dazzle. Try to figure out what type of food they serve. :) Anyway, in terms of style crisis, I've seen at multiple restaurants where there is an indoor space and an outdoor space that feel worlds apart. At Rhapsody's--my favorite steak restaurant across the street--the outside has a cool bar vibe, complete with paper napkins, plastic tables, and lawn-ish chairs. Inside, however, is more like a five-star restaurant with linen napkins, linen tablecloths, padded seats, and fancy artwork on the walls. Inside I automatically get a complimentary dinner roll. Outside I have to ask for it. Same restaurant, same menu, same wait staff, but so completely different. Dazzle is the same way.

Outside, Dazzle reminds me of a restaurant on the campus of the University of Dar es Salaam called Udasa. Nice, relaxed atmosphere, with tables in the grass. Inside, another high-quality restaurant with multiple spoons and forks that I'm pretty sure neither I nor the wait staff know exactly what to do with. It was odd. But as for the type of food, well Dazzle was just all over the place. It bills itself as Indian food AND a steakhouse. A quick glance at the menu backs that up, mostly. There's also some interesting chicken dishes and some seafood too (try your luck with seafood in a landlocked country). And in case that wasn't enough, Dazzle also serves some pasta dishes that are meatless, obviously.

While I'm chatting about weird things at restaurants, some of the restaurants in Lusaka need to reevaluate their music choices. The other day, I was about to go into a place called Shaka's Grill, but they seemed to be using the Best of Dolly Parton soundtrack, so I looked at the place next door. No joke, they were on a Nickelback kick. So I went to the next restaurant down and their music choice--a 90s and 2000s mix--was good. Then, after one questionable song (the Macarena), they put on their Celine Dion music. Thankfully I was wrapping up my meal and left about 15 minutes later.

Likewise, Dazzle's music was just frenetic. Hard rap turned to Adele turned to Ace of Base turned to some bluegrass. What?!?! I guess it was better than this video that made me laugh way more than it should have. As always, thank you, Ellen!

No comments:

Post a Comment