Saturday, April 26, 2014

Dutch Market

The last Saturday of every month, the Dutch Reformed Church of Lusaka hosts a market where one can buy the usual stuff that appears to be in every market in sub-Saharan Africa. Or, at least that's what I thought. The Dutch Market pleasantly surprised me for not only having more than just the standard curios, but also because it was well-organized and the prices were much fairer than I was expecting at a place that caters to expats and tourists. There was produce, furniture, grills, and fire pits. In a way, I wish there was an easy way to get some of that here to send it back to DC, but alas, it would be cost prohibitive and extraordinarily difficult.

I successfully got all the gifts I think I need to bring back with me. I had been putting off getting the things as long as possible because I didn't want to store them in the hotel or schlep them around if I was going to end up switching hotels. However, I needed to see this market--everyone talks about it--and I leave Zambia the day before the next market day. Terrible planning, because clearly I come to places like Zambia just to go to markets.

Anyway, Zambian markets are unlike the markets I've been to in other parts of southern and eastern Africa. In general, the sellers are not hawkish. Negotiating is relatively simple: they give a price that's not completely unreasonable, I counter with a low-ball price, they counter at the price I was expecting to pay at the end of the day. In a way, I almost feel like I must be doing something wrong and that perhaps I should go even lower, but I'm not trying to be unreasonable. For example, the other day I wanted a Zambian football (soccer) shirt and anticipated paying about $15. The guy started at $12. I was taken aback and ended up actually paying his original price. Did I overpay? Probably. But it was fine; I got it for less than I had expected.

This post's video is of a hamster not really eating carrots, but definitely hoarding them. It made me laugh more than it probably should. I'm really curious what the hamster did afterwards though--did it spit them out or finally chew and swallow them?
Note: After watching many more YouTube videos, I am led to believe that hamsters storing food in their cheeks is a common practice. Doesn't make it any less funny to me, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment