Friday, February 28, 2014

Moving to a City for a Few Months...Several Thousand Miles Away

I started this blog in January for two reasons. The first is hopefully obvious by this point, especially since I've mentioned it a few times: I want to chronicle my thoughts on life as they happen to me out in the suburbs of Virginia. This is a creative outlet for me. For the second reason, well, it's because I'm going on a trip and I felt like it would be a fun way to update friends and family on any of the fun things I do while abroad. In a few days, assuming the weather hold up (go home, snow), I'll be flying for about 24 hours to make it to Lusaka, Zambia.

If you don't know where Zambia is, look at this handy map. :)
I'm really excited for this trip. I'll be in Zambia for about three months, which should be enough time to get a feel for the city and have some crazy things happen. It will also give me sufficient time to get out of the city and do some sightseeing, perhaps to Victoria Falls or the Kariba Dam (oddly, the two places I REALLY want to go in Zambia are both on the border with Zimbabwe).

This trip also will be good for me personally. Sometimes I wonder if I'd enjoy living abroad or if I like the comforts of the United States too much to really want to give that up. Every time I try to figure it out, I realize I won't really know until I try it. But it's not easy to just pick up and move overseas, so having a short timeframe--just three months--seemed like a good way to do it. If I like it, I'll find a way back abroad. If I don't like it, well, no harm no foul. I come back to the US and stay here and just do short trips here and there as appropriate.

How does one prepare for a trip like this? Honestly, I'm not sure. It's Friday, but I'm not even packed yet. My suitcase is still in the closet, but even if it was out, nothing would be in it. I haven't done laundry in three weeks and am running out of clothes. I guess that'll be a needed preparatory task. I'm also trying to meet up with all my friends before I leave. I know it's only three months, but that actually is a long time especially when it's in the spring and people will be coming out of hibernation and beginning to engage more frequently with one another again. I'm a little sad I'll be missing it, but I'll be back by the summer to partake in at least the latter 2/3 of the outdoor time this year.

So that's where things stand. If all goes well, I'm in Zambia by mid-week and having experiences I can't get here in Virginia. I'm sure things will happen that will be fodder for future posts. I'm super excited yet very nervous too. It won't be stories from a DC suburb, but it will still be stories of a suburbanite figuring out life!!!

This post's video is below. I'm a Verizon guy, but AT&T employs some marketing geniuses for this series of commercials. This one in particular is definitely one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment