Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Eight Years on Facebook, a Trip Down Memory Lane

Mark Zuckerberg is a marketing genius. Facebook has so totally transformed our lives, and every time you think the platform will remain static, it comes out with something new and exciting. The summary videos for Facebook's 10-year anniversary was just that, and I absolutely loved it.

My First Facebook Profile Picture
I enjoy taking journeys down memory lane, because I feel that where you've been makes who you are. Plus, after eight years on Facebook, I was curious to see what I was doing online back in 2006. My most liked posts over the last eight years were about me eavesdropping in French, me buying a house, me going on a trip to Africa, and me pretending that BeyoncĂ© singing Happy Birthday at a concert was directed at me. The part about the photos I've shared had some really nice things too. Overall, it was a great 62-second video.

The Facebook summary inspired me to go back and look at my 2,043 tweets on Twitter. I joined that site in June 2009 during my summer job at Georgetown but only used it sporadically until early 2010, when I began to use Twitter to distract me from my senior theses. In a cursory review of my tweets, I noticed that I talk about a few select things: the weather, basketball, big nationally-televised events, and my attempts to eavesdrop on people (whether it was the couple living above me or crazy people on the bus). I sort of want Twitter to do a summary video too, because I'm curious as to what they would come up with.

I've been trying to figure out what other social media sites I've used in the past so I could take a look at various aspects of my online life years ago. I know I had a Myspace and a Xanga, but unfortunately I can't remember my passwords for either and, in any case, my accounts on both have probably been deleted by this point. I know social media gets a bad rap from a little people who think we spend too much time on it, but I think it's a unique way to chronicle big--and small, as I discovered on Twitter--moments in our lives. The trips down memory lane are a lot of fun, and I'm glad Facebook reminded us of the good and intimate purposes of social media with its minute-long videos.

If these clips from Family Feud don't crack you up, you have no sense of humor:

No comments:

Post a Comment