Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Few Days In, Way Too Tired, and Dumb Move #1

If there are spelling mistakes, sorry. If the grammar isn't very good, even more apologies. Basically, I'm running on fumes--definitely jet-lagged--but can't fall asleep. A blog post seemed to be a good activity, although I hope reading this doesn't put other people to sleep. I laughed at that little joke, and then realized no one else probably will. So moving on...

Dulles Airport at the height of the storm.
Despite Mother Nature's best efforts, I made it to Lusaka on schedule. Ten minutes early, even. As a snowstorm pummeled the DC area, I sat sort-of comfortably at the airport, waiting for my flight. I figured that I would rather be at the airport ready to catch a flight than sitting at home nervous as to whether I'd make it to the airport on time. Obviously, with snow, the flight was delayed, meaning I spent a good 7ish hours at the airport. Now, I love airports, but with nothing open and few other people around, it was a tad boring.

The flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg--a 15ish hour direct flight--was just plain odd. In the past, every time I've flown across multiple time zones, the airline would try to adjust your food and sleep schedule to match with your destination. Not Delta, They served dinner at the equivalent of 3am, a light snack around 6am, and a breakfast around 1pm. It was odd, and really threw me for a loop. I get that the flight was 15 hours and had a 7 hour time change, but still. It all felt really off.

And now here I am in Zambia after a short flight from South Africa. I've been pretty impressed with Zambia so far, although I do wish I was a little more awake and perceptive. The one thing I have noticed in the mornings, and that really surprises me, is that Lusaka actually has a rush hour. Not like a DC rush hour or some other African cities I've been to (looking at you, Dar) where every road in every direction gets backed up. Nope, in Lusaka, the traffic in the morning flows into the city, and in the evenings, it goes the opposite direction. As I said, I was impressed and shocked by the development.

Can't believe I forgot this. :(
In a related but off-topic story.... I like to think of myself as a reasonably smart guy. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here; rather, for being someone who loves to travel and can usually follow a list, I made a dumb move before coming out. Some might even call it a rookie mistake. I have a new, wonderful camera that takes just as wonderful pictures. But don't expect to see any of those for a few months because I, in my infinite preparedness, forgot the bring the cord that connects my camera to my computer. I have stunning shots of this morning sunrises--radiant oranges streaking across the sky with dark blue undertones (yes, you should be jealous)--but you won't get to see those until June unless I can find a relatively cheap one at the mall this weekend. I'm sorry. As of right now, I think that's the only thing I forgot to bring, but I'm sure other things will surface in the coming weeks.

I'm looking forward to relaxing this weekend and catching up on sleep before really leaving the hotel for things like dinner next week. In the meantime, for this post's video, I chose Nancy Grace's staff's prank on her. I can't stand Nancy Grace, and the fact that her own producers did this makes me so incredibly happy. Now if only CNN would finally cut her off--she's crazy and rude and usually just plain-wrong--life would be grand. Jon Stewart complaining about Nancy Grace after the Jodi Arias trial is a good follow-on video. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment