Monday, January 18, 2016

Random Act of Kindness

We're bombarded with news of bad things happening all the time. Terrorist attacks, shootings, even car accidents and natural disasters. Turn on the evening news and it's only occasionally that they report on happiness. I think that's why people love random acts of kindness--they're a reminder that there's good in this world and some of that good might just come our way.

I've wasted away many hours on YouTube and Tumblr and BuzzFeed and any other site that lets people show the good in the world, and one of them truly inspired me. Inside a RedBox DVD, someone put a little money in the case and encouraged the person to get a snack. Today, I rented a movie from RedBox (The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials) and thought it was about time I made someone's day, at some point. So like the Tumblr post I saw that one day, I put in a little money and a note telling the eventual unsuspecting recipient to "Enjoy a snack with your movie!" It's the least I could do to hopefully brighten someone's day.


And that's all that random acts of kindness really are. I will never know who gets this little surprise, and it doesn't matter, as long as that person opens up the DVD and smiles. I know I smiled returning the movie. Pay it forward.

As for a happy video, this happens to be one of my favorite Pay It Forward videos. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment