Friday, March 18, 2016

Bishkek Or Bust: My Sporcle Addiction

If you haven't experienced the brilliance of Sporcle you're missing out. It's a forum for online trivia quizzes and just plain, simple fun. Their motto, Mentally Stimulating Diversions, is exactly what Sporcle is all about. Some quizzes are silly (Can you press the spacebar 225 times in 30 seconds? I can't...my record right now is 193), but others are fun to test your knowledge (Can you name every country in the world? Yes, obviously. See: this.). You can even make your own quizzes for your own edification or to challenge your friends and the world. So why am I making a post all about Sporcle? Well, Sporcle might be my addiction.

I know what you're thinking...this sounds like an exaggeration! I promise you it is not. I finally looked at my stats on the website, and below is what I found. (Note: I joined the site on 30 January 2009, so this only includes data since that point.)

This is my Sporcle avatar, because who doesn't love looking
at a baby elephant? :)
I have played 16,869 quizzes and tried my luck at 13,617 unique quizzes, including 26.65% of all quizzes Sporcle has verified as good. The Geography category is my most-played category (that's a no-duh statement). My most-played quiz is Countries of the World, which I've played 25 times, although not in the past two years. And I can type them all in 5 minutes 15 seconds. Sporcle has badges for achieving certain things, and I've earned 256 of 351 badges across a wide variety of categories, and am pretty far along in a few others. For instance, I've played 25 different Art quizzes and 100 different NBA quizzes.

Sporcle isn't just about diverting my attention; I've also learned a lot in the process. I can spell Kyrgyzstan without pausing (Sporcle has a fascination with Kyrgyzstan because it is so hard to spell, which led to the creation of the phrase Bishkek or Bust). Krzyzewski and Schwarzenegger are easier than before, but still a bit difficult for me. I now know that Ngerulmud has replaced Koror as the capital of Palau. I can name 10 body parts that are only three letters long. And I still know all original 151 Pokémon.

So I encourage you to check out Sporcle. Have some fun. Test your knowledge. And learn to spell Kyrgyzstan!

For this post's video, Jimmy Fallon made a ridiculously funny game: Box of Lies. Jennifer Lawrence totally nails it.

No comments:

Post a Comment