Thursday, December 24, 2015

Jewish, Single, and Alone on Christmas

I'm Jewish, single, and alone for Christmas. Do I hear a violin playing in the background? Have I started my own pity party? It's not that it had to be this way, but it just so happens that the confluence of events left me out in the suburbs solo on the one day of the year in which just about everything ACTUALLY SHUTS DOWN. Except McDonald's. And Safeway. And Walgreens (if the radio commercials are to be believed).

So what am I to do this long holiday weekend? Thankfully the weather is warm. Like, record-breaking warmth. Highs in the 70s, which I can totally get behind. Sure, it may be humid. And yeah, there's rain on-and-off. But I can wear short-sleeve shirts and just hang around without wearing a sweatshirt and layering up with three blankets. That's the type of weather I enjoy.

When the rain comes down, though, I need to be inside. And that's where TERRIBLE winter/Christmas movies come into play. I DVRed a bunch of bad SyFy films, including Collision Earth (The planet Mercury is on a trajectory to crash into Earth) and 100 Degrees Below Zero (Scientists attempt to reverse the effects of a new Ice Age). As I type this, I'm watching the thrilling Mayim Bialik and Ryan McPartlin flick The Flight Before Christmas (Two strangers share a room at a bed-and-breakfast on Christmas Eve). THIS is the pinnacle of movie-making, of course. I'm surviving these movies with a lovely glass (or two...or three) of wine.

And that is how a single Jewish guy in the suburbs spends his Christmas weekend. Maybe a better movie will come on. Or the sun will come out. Who knows. It's Christmas...anything can happen!!! :)

My other weekend activity? Listening to this mashup a ridiculous number of times. Malinda Kathleen Reese is talented in everything she sings, but this mashup of Hello and Sorry is just brilliant, and makes the two songs (which are starting to get old for me), very tolerable to listen to nonstop.

No comments:

Post a Comment